Thursday, November 4, 2010

How long is too long? Or too short?

I love the show What Not to Wear on TLC. I'll confess though, I usually only watch if the featured person is about the same body type as me. I have gained a lot of tips from that show and it is definitely reflected in my wardrobe and style.

The other day they were talking about how shorter women, and women with shorter legs should not wear longer tops because it makes their legs look stumpy. I'm really not sure how I feel about that comment. I like my tops to come to mid-hip at their shortest, really. I feel like anything shorter makes me look boxy up top. And I'm not sure if I agree with the comment about longer shirts making the legs look stumpy. I think I have pretty average length legs at about a 30" inseam.










I've lined up these pictures of myself from shortest shirt length to longest. That does not include the over layering piece, just the shirt underneath. I think my legs look the longest in the crappy camera phone pic in the middle. But I'm not convinced that the shirt length did that, I think the cropped jacket gave that illusion. I think my legs look the next longest in the picture second from left with the long red sweater. But again, I don't think the shirt length caused the effect, I think the heals did. Maybe the heals and the shirt length worked together on that one, I guess. I think my favorite length after looking at these photos is the one second from right. It's not too long, it's not too short. And I think if I had worn heals there, it would have been the winner.

Maybe the thing is that I know I'm not tall and I know I have average length legs, so maybe I just don't care how long or short my legs look. Ha! This was probably the most unscientific post, ever.

What do you think about making your legs look long? How do you do it? And do you really care at all?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I think all the pictures have pretty cute outfits! My favorite one is probably the last one(red top layered over a black top with the jeans and heels)! But that's not based on leg length. I used to watch What Not To Wear a lot, but I'm just not as much into as I used to be (Hehe, I do sometimes wonder how they would deal with me though...) I'm a really big fan of wearing what makes a person happy, and not worrying too much about things like leg length. But if you want to make them look longer (or shorter for that matter), why not? Go for it! I like to think wearing clothes should be fun and make you happy! :)

    ReplyDelete